WELCOME TO THE BAYLISS LINE. This blog has been created for my family. By "my family" I mean all those who are related to the Bayliss family either by blood, marriage or even relationship. There are, of course, other Bayliss families not related to us but this blog has at its heart a very specific family who had their origins in Gloucestershire. I am connected to that family because my mother was a Bayliss and it was her curiosity that started my research back in the early 1990's. So, what are you likely to see on this blog? Well, as it is a blog, I want it to be as entertaining as possible rather that a dry listing of facts (that is for Ancestry.com). I will, hopefully, be posting entries on our ancestors and relatives, on the places where they lived, and the historical times they lived through. I have an extensive collection of photographs of people and places which I will, of course, be sharing.

I'd like to ask anybody who reads this blog to give me some feedback. I'd really like this to be a two way thing. It sometimes unearths new information and, to be honest, it gives me encouragement. There will be two ways of providing feedback - either through the comment button (you will need a Google account for this) or via the e-mail address which appears on this page - alternatively, ring me. Now scroll down to read the latest entries.....and, of course, via Facebook.

Friday 3 June 2011

One of the first things one becomes aware of when doing any kind of historical or genealogical research is the inconsistency of the way names are spelt.  There are several reasons for this with illiteracy being the main one. In earlier times there was not definitive spelling and many words, particularly names, were spelled as they sounded.  Our ancestors were often illiterate and when a child was baptised or (after 1838) registered, the recording clergy simply wrote down the names as he heard them; so the name we know today as Bayliss could be spelled "Bayless" "Baylis" or "Bayles".  When the first real census was taken in 1841 similar problems were encountered as it often seemed the only qualification for becoming a census taker was a very basic literacy. When recording family history accuracy is obviously desirable and when recording to my files on Ancestry.com I note variations in spelling but for the sake of simplicity on this blog I have decided to use the most familiar spelling used by our family which is "Bayliss". For the record the most common spelling prior to 1900 was "Baylis" but around the turn of the century the second "s" was added and has been used ever since. Likewise, my grandmother, Esther, often referred to her maiden name as "Abbott" and this seems to have been accepted without question.  In fact her family name was definitely "Abbotts" and I have chosen to use this spelling because it helps to differentiate it from a related family who were "Abbott".  In dealing with the Dance family I have, however" noted the point where it made the transition from "Dunce" because there seems to be a definite reason why this happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment