WELCOME TO THE BAYLISS LINE. This blog has been created for my family. By "my family" I mean all those who are related to the Bayliss family either by blood, marriage or even relationship. There are, of course, other Bayliss families not related to us but this blog has at its heart a very specific family who had their origins in Gloucestershire. I am connected to that family because my mother was a Bayliss and it was her curiosity that started my research back in the early 1990's. So, what are you likely to see on this blog? Well, as it is a blog, I want it to be as entertaining as possible rather that a dry listing of facts (that is for Ancestry.com). I will, hopefully, be posting entries on our ancestors and relatives, on the places where they lived, and the historical times they lived through. I have an extensive collection of photographs of people and places which I will, of course, be sharing.

I'd like to ask anybody who reads this blog to give me some feedback. I'd really like this to be a two way thing. It sometimes unearths new information and, to be honest, it gives me encouragement. There will be two ways of providing feedback - either through the comment button (you will need a Google account for this) or via the e-mail address which appears on this page - alternatively, ring me. Now scroll down to read the latest entries.....and, of course, via Facebook.

Friday 1 July 2011

A CAUTIONARY TALE

Studd Street today.

Here's a little insight into the problems of researching old documents. A few posts back I said that in 1861 Elizabeth Ann Bayliss, age 14, was working as a servant for a comb manufacturer named James Mitchell in Mudd Street, Islington.  Not being familiar with this street, I consulted THE A-Z OF VICTORIAN LONDON which reprints G.W. Bacon's very detailed survey maps of the city in 1888.  No mention of Mudd Street.  I returned to the original Census document of 1861 and yes, it looked like it was clearly "Mudd Street."  I decided to work back through the census pages until I found another street in the area - one I was familiar with or one that was listed in the A-Z.  The first on I found was Theberton Street. Quickly I turned back to the mysterious "Mudd Street" and realised that the census taker's handwriting really said "Studd Street".  Well, I must have been laughing for a full five minutes. Why?  Because I worked in Studd Street for 32 years!  If number 6 Studd Street, where Elizabeth Ann worked, was one of the surviving Victorian houses in the street (there is a number 6 but the street was possibly renumbered in the 1880's) then I walked past it every time I went to work!  In the above picture you can see some of the surviving Victorian houses on the right hand side of the street - the present number six being about half way along.  At the far end of the street you can just see the yard of the old Northern District Postal depot where I worked. I believe the site was occupied by a builder's yard belonging to the firm of Dove Brothers in 1861.

No comments:

Post a Comment