WELCOME TO THE BAYLISS LINE. This blog has been created for my family. By "my family" I mean all those who are related to the Bayliss family either by blood, marriage or even relationship. There are, of course, other Bayliss families not related to us but this blog has at its heart a very specific family who had their origins in Gloucestershire. I am connected to that family because my mother was a Bayliss and it was her curiosity that started my research back in the early 1990's. So, what are you likely to see on this blog? Well, as it is a blog, I want it to be as entertaining as possible rather that a dry listing of facts (that is for Ancestry.com). I will, hopefully, be posting entries on our ancestors and relatives, on the places where they lived, and the historical times they lived through. I have an extensive collection of photographs of people and places which I will, of course, be sharing.

I'd like to ask anybody who reads this blog to give me some feedback. I'd really like this to be a two way thing. It sometimes unearths new information and, to be honest, it gives me encouragement. There will be two ways of providing feedback - either through the comment button (you will need a Google account for this) or via the e-mail address which appears on this page - alternatively, ring me. Now scroll down to read the latest entries.....and, of course, via Facebook.

Monday 5 March 2012

THE WILSON FAMILY


Lilian Maud Shelley (nee Wilson)
Ada's sister.

My last two posts concerned my uncle, Herbert (Bert) Bayliss. his wife Ada and their longtime home on Canvey Island, Essex. Imagine my surprise when soon after posting these articles on the blog I received an e-mail from a lady named Barbara who turned out to be a relative of Ada - her great niece to be exact!  I was naturally thrilled as I knew next to nothing about Ada's family prior to her marriage to Bert. Ada's parents were Henry William Wilson, a scaffolder/bricklayer and his wife Mary Ann.  They appear on the 1901 Census and the 1911 Census.  Curiously in 1901 Henry's place of birth is given as Highgate and his wife's as Holloway, yet in 1911 (when Henry filled the form in himself) they are given as Caledonian Road (which is certainly not Highgate) and Newington Butts (which is in South London) respectively. The 1901 Census lists the couple's children as Annie Beatrice, Lilian Maud, Emma Rosetta and Joseph.  Joseph is not listed on the 1911 form but, of course, Ada Florence, born 1903, is.  Henry also lists the names of four other children who had died.

Interestingly, the Wilson sisters, Annie, Lilian and Emma, like Ada and Bert, also lived at Leigh Beck on Canvey Island and Barbara (who is Lilian's granddaughter) thinks that they made a mass exodus from London in the late 1940's. Like the Bayliss family the Wilson sisters and their families were regulars at the Admiral Jellicoe pub and Barbara was herself born on the island and has memories that seem to coincide with my own - even down to the best place to buy ice lollies!


Frederick Charles Shelley, husband of  Lilian Maud  
Many thanks to Barbara for the photographs.

1 comment:

  1. That was a bolt from the blue, I've never known anything about Ada's background.

    ReplyDelete