WELCOME TO THE BAYLISS LINE. This blog has been created for my family. By "my family" I mean all those who are related to the Bayliss family either by blood, marriage or even relationship. There are, of course, other Bayliss families not related to us but this blog has at its heart a very specific family who had their origins in Gloucestershire. I am connected to that family because my mother was a Bayliss and it was her curiosity that started my research back in the early 1990's. So, what are you likely to see on this blog? Well, as it is a blog, I want it to be as entertaining as possible rather that a dry listing of facts (that is for Ancestry.com). I will, hopefully, be posting entries on our ancestors and relatives, on the places where they lived, and the historical times they lived through. I have an extensive collection of photographs of people and places which I will, of course, be sharing.

I'd like to ask anybody who reads this blog to give me some feedback. I'd really like this to be a two way thing. It sometimes unearths new information and, to be honest, it gives me encouragement. There will be two ways of providing feedback - either through the comment button (you will need a Google account for this) or via the e-mail address which appears on this page - alternatively, ring me. Now scroll down to read the latest entries.....and, of course, via Facebook.

Thursday 19 July 2012

More on Morton's Fish Shop.

I mentioned in my article on Arthur Bayliss that there was another picture that I was unsure actually depicted the shop where Arthur was manager for many years. The first picture below most certainly looks like the shop as I remember it. The only problem is the shop sign that can just be seen above which seems to bear the number "75".  If memory serves me right the shop was actually No.2 Junction Road.




The second picture raises more questions. Like the above this comes from the collection of the Imperial War Museum but in this case it is actually identified as W.S.Morton's Fish Shop. However, you might note that the slab from which the fish are being served is supported by what looks like a solid front while in the former picture the slabs are on legs. Also the same wall of the shop is shown in both pictures but appear to be very different - note the absence of the decorative tiles in the second picture (there is evidence for decorative tiles in one of the pictures of Arthur in my post.)
Also in the first picture the slabs seem to be further back.  My person feeling is that the first picture depicts the shop but it is the second picture that is actually captioned as Morton's by the Imperial War Museum so I remain confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment