WELCOME TO THE BAYLISS LINE. This blog has been created for my family. By "my family" I mean all those who are related to the Bayliss family either by blood, marriage or even relationship. There are, of course, other Bayliss families not related to us but this blog has at its heart a very specific family who had their origins in Gloucestershire. I am connected to that family because my mother was a Bayliss and it was her curiosity that started my research back in the early 1990's. So, what are you likely to see on this blog? Well, as it is a blog, I want it to be as entertaining as possible rather that a dry listing of facts (that is for Ancestry.com). I will, hopefully, be posting entries on our ancestors and relatives, on the places where they lived, and the historical times they lived through. I have an extensive collection of photographs of people and places which I will, of course, be sharing.

I'd like to ask anybody who reads this blog to give me some feedback. I'd really like this to be a two way thing. It sometimes unearths new information and, to be honest, it gives me encouragement. There will be two ways of providing feedback - either through the comment button (you will need a Google account for this) or via the e-mail address which appears on this page - alternatively, ring me. Now scroll down to read the latest entries.....and, of course, via Facebook.

Friday 21 September 2012

THE CHAMPS




This portrait of Alexander Brown appeared in my earlier article on the Brown family. It was taken in 1900 when Alexander was twenty-nine years old. Alexander was the North London Pro Billiards Champion 1900 to 1918, retiring in 1919.

This picture show a much changed Alexander Brown with his son Alexander Edward Brown - better known as Alec - taken in the Billiards Room at The Piccadilly Hotel in London. Note the middle of the three pens in his waistcoat pocket is the "fountain pen cue" with which he played the famous shot at Thurstons which caused the rules to be changed regarding the size of a cue.

This picture, like the one before, shows Alexander and his son Alex at The Piccadilly Hotel, London in 1938.


The Piccadilly Hotel in the 1930's

Alec Brown with the Daily Mail Gold Cup which he won 1938/39.


Our final picture shows Alec in 1939 at the age of 31.
The original picture is autographed.

Many thanks to cousin Alva for sharing these pictures of her grandfather and uncle with the blog.
It is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment